Monday, November 19, 2012

Chemistry Major?


Hello blog spotters!! Danny's back back back, back again-gain-gain, and here for his third blog! :) WOOOHOOO

Soo, I've talked about possible majors in both Criminal Justice and Mathematics, but now it's time for my next topic.....CHEMISTRY!

Definition of Chemistry: a branch of physical science is the study of the composition, properties and behavior of matter. Chemistry is concerned with atoms and their interactions with other atoms, and particularly with the properties of chemical bonds. Chemistry is also concerned with the interactions between atoms (or groups of atoms) and various forms of energy (e.g. photochemical reactions, changes in phases of matter, separation of mixtures, properties of polymers, etc.).

Ohh chemistry! <3 I deeply fell in love with this subject my sophomore year at Westmont, when I was first introduced to it! It was definitely one of my most enjoyable subjects last year, and possibly one of my favorite of all time! There was so many vast new concepts to learn and so many new terms and ideas to apprehend! Also, I had a truly amazing teacher, Mrs. Barnes! I was extremely fortunate to have her as a teacher, and she was always there for my assistance, which I think was one of the main reasons I had an A for both semesters! 
We covered soo many topics in class it was unbelievable! From the ones I can remember, there was Stoichiometry, States of Matter, Chemical Reactions, Periodic Trends, Solutions, Gases, Acids & Bases, Kinetics, Thermochemistry & Physical Chemistry, Nuclear Chemistry, Atomic & Electronic Structure, and the list just goes on and on. So many topics, in such little time, but it was really beneficial to learn all of them, and I'm really considering doing this again, maybe even at the AP level if Westmont offers it next year! I would be delighted to dive back into to this amazing subject and learn even more material about it! :)


So now, could this subject be a possible major for me? HECK YES! I looked up what the qualities of a Chemistry major are: Chemistry majors are curious, analytical, and self-starting leaders. They have strong written and verbal communication skills and are good at math, physics, and biology. A chemistry student may like to perform experiments and work with their hands. I'd say I qualify for most of those credentials, except I haven't taken Physics yet. But, I am now pretty interested in the subject, and I'm going to do a lot more research on it and see what colleges have this exquisite major to offer! I'm sure I'd enjoy all the classes that come along with it, and I'll like the class because there will most likely be a lot of math involved! :) Chemistry can lead me to a wide variety of possible careers and intricate opportunities that I will have to consider later in life! :)

This could be me someday!:


Thanks to all my fans out there for reading this! Hope you all enjoyed it! I'll be back for more soon! :D

6 comments:

  1. Danny I really love your interest in chemistry! This was a greatly organized and interesting blog; i am very impressed! I really think that you should take AP chem next year and see if this career path still interests you after!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such an informative blog! Although chemistry isn't a preference of a subject to me, I really enjoyed your overview of a rigorous chemistry class. I hope that you are able to take AP chemistry next year! Good luck! Like my profile picture on facebook though, seriously. No. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Stapleton! I like how your blog is organized and really easy to follow. You do a really good job of explaining everything. After spending a year in chemistry with you last year, it doesn't surprise me that it interests you. You always caught on and learned the material quickly, and were able to teach those around you (our group). I hope that you take AP Chemistry next year and continue on your path of success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Danny! Your future has massive potential especially if you have a passion for chemistry! Taking that AP class will definitely boost your passion to a whole new level. Knowledge is power! I can see you as a great Chemistry teacher, so be a teacher like me! :D Good luck Danny I know you can achieve your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danny this is truely brilliant stuff! I can totally see you becoming a chemist. And i do agree with Ryan, taking that AP class would be a huge boost. You have planty of potential and I think you could have a lot of fun in this study. Now go blow some shit up.

    p.s. I see you working and i like your shoes.

    ReplyDelete